Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close By Jonathan Safran Foer


I just finished reading this Monday night, and again am blown away by Jonathan Safran Foer. (He wrote Everything is Illuminated, which I've posted about here before)
Just like Everything is Illuminated, this book can easily make me cray, laugh, reread, want to scream, breaks my heart, rebuilds it back up... all over and over again.


“I pointed her index fingers toward each other and slowly, very slowly, moved them in, the closer they got, the more slowly I moved them, and then, as they were about to touch, as they were only a dictionary page from touching, pressing on opposite sides of the word “love,” I stopped them, I stopped them and held them there. I don’t know what she thought, I don’t know what she understood, or what she wouldn’t allow herself to understand, I turned around and walked away from her, I didn’t look back, I won’t.”


“Humans are the only animal that blushes, laughs, has religion, wages war, and kisses with lips. So in a way, the more you kiss with lips, the more human you are.”

“Songs are as sad as the listener.”

These quotes almost make it seem like an all sad book. But it's truly beautiful. About an odd little boy on a mission after his father is killed in the Sept 11th attacks. I'll leave it at that.. Plus there is still a numbers puzzle in the book that I need to figure out... I love puzzles.

No comments: