Thursday, January 22, 2009

The United States of Tara. My new favorite Show.



Holy Crap, have you seen this show yet? Have you heard of it? Well why not?!? Haha. Okay seriously, if you give any new show a chance, I suggest you do so with this one. The United States of Tara, staring Toni Collette. You know her, the mom from Six Sense, she was also in one of my favorite movies Velvet Goldmine. She is amazing. This show really shows her range and as this show is about something very close to me, D.I.D. (Dissociative Identity Disorder)

Tara is a house wife, with a loving husband, a rebellious teenage daughter (only 15, but good god), a sweet but misunderstood son, and a crappy job. As every single one of you know, life is effing hard sometime. How does Tara deal? Well, she dissociates, her alters being Alice, a perfect model wife, who wants respect and to be in charge of everything, Buck, a biker dude, who smokes and gets into fights, but would do anything for those he cares about, and T, a 15 year old trying to live in a 30 somethings body... She smokes pot, shops a lot, and dresses like a slut.

Every single alter she plays is their own person, and she does this amazingly well. When you see the stress building up in her, and she dissociates, those of us that know what that's like, or have seen it happen to someone, could stand up and scream "YES! That's how I feel!" It's beautiful.

The show is getting some negative slack too. People don't think a show about D.I.D. could be interesting (how could it not!?) or that as it's got a comedy streak in it, that it's downplaying D.I.D. which happens after childhood abuse. (sexual, physical, mental, emotional) I do not find any of their points really valid after watching the shows first two episodes. I think the family dynamic of living with a mom that is not always 'mom', is terrific. Not everyone with D.I.D. is on medication, and not everyone believes in integration, hell I don't. Yes it can be funny, but life in general is funny at times, even with a disorder.

It's really worth checking out. It gets my heart racing, my mind spinning, and I want to share it with everyone. I hope it keeps going for a while, because I am hooked.

It's on Showtime, and they allow you to watch episodes there (at least the first one). Here is the IMDB page for it.

3 comments:

Luna Hikes said...

Was she in The L-word? I'm totally gonna check that show out.

- Jack - said...

No I don't think so. She was in Velvet Goldmine, and The Sixth Sense, Little Miss Sunshine, uuh Muriel's Wedding..

She's adorable and has an amazing body! You gotta check it out!

Luna Hikes said...

Oooooh Little Miss Sunshine! She was the mom! Check. Got it. lol