Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hidden Art.

Diego Rivera's mural down a well titled El aqua, origen de la vida. (Water, Origin of Life) has always been a personal favorite of mine. Diego Rivera (December 8, 1886 – November 24, 1957) was a Mexican muralist, active communist, and husband to my personal favorite artist Frida Kahlo. He often painted famous people, as well as himself and those around him, into his paintings. This mural was actually painted inside of a well, Mexico City's Lerma River water system. Media: mixture of plastic polystyrene in the fresco pigment, then varnished with transparent rubber. The mural featuring Mexico's past oppressors, it's native people, it's future hopes... all above the water, are met with the world underneath it.. organisms and an intricate pattern of teeming protoplasmic life. I especially love the hands pouring the water through the tunnels... showing that yes, water is the start of all things, big and small.

The fact that he'd do such a massive job, that is undoubtedly gorgeous, in a place that would hardly be seen by the public... and knowing that the water would eventually wash the whole thing away, amazes me. There was no way to save it. I would of loved the chance to see it in person before it was destroyed. His giant murals inspire me to want to do the same. Every trip to San Francisco I comment on how I want a wall, just one wall, to paint on. To leave my mark. I guess I'll just have to start with a room in my house (once I own one!).

No comments: