Monday, December 15, 2008

Understanding Joshua


You may be freaked out by now... or oddly intrigued, but when it comes down to it, we all want to understand Joshua. I stumbled upon this little guy on accident a few years back. There was a picture floating around on Myspace, of a bunch of guys, a girl, some milk, and this creature, and it freaked the hell out of me. I would bring the image up from time to time, hoping to shed some light on who this was, why this was around, and if there was more... 2 months ago, I got my answer.

His name is Joshua, and he is a puppet photographed by Charlie White. More images of Joshua can be found here... thought I warn you... Not all are safe for work. Some nudity, and some strong adult subjects. TransBuddha.com says "I don’t think any other artist has captured the vulnerability, or self-loathing of the male sex more accurately than Charlie White's Understanding Joshua series." Of course I saw only the creepy milk picture at first, and was almost disgusted by the image, until I saw the rest of the series. I sudden feel very bad for him. Joshua seems shy, distant, looking for approval, and very very self conscious. I've discussed with a friend how a movie about Joshua would be rather interesting to see, if done properly.

Here is a very interesting interview with Charlie White, about the creation of the project, as well as Joshua himself. It's a good read. If anything, it's that sort of art that really makes me think. Not all art these days does that, get us to think. Enjoy.

No comments: